I recently heard my mentor talk about what have you overcome that was holding you back from doing your goals and dreams? He also said will you be in the same place at Christmas of this year that you were last year? Well, both of those questions are quite poignant and must be answered with honesty.
To start with I have overcome a couple things in the last year that were major hurdles for me that I didn’t even realize were until I just started working towards my goals and dreams. One of those hurdles was myself. I was someone that thought positively until something went wrong and then it was ‘whoa is me’ for a while and then time would pass and nothing would have changed due to that attitude. You also tend to ask ‘why’ a lot when you are like that.
The other statement, will you be where you were last year at the end of this year? No, I will not. I have learned that the art of doing changes everything in your life. Those goals or dreams start looking within reach because you are doing things to move yourself forward towards them. These two questions caused me to reflect and I can honestly say that I won’t be where I was at the end of this year compared to last year.
Here are some steps I took to make a difference in my life.
- I focused on what I was truly passionate about…my photography and my writing. I didn’t allow other things to sneak in there and cause me to divert my attention to them.
- I wrote down a list of what I needed to do for each area and began doing tasks to move me forward. (Such as this website for my photography.)
- I began doing. Writing isn’t something you say I want to write a book and you just sit down and are done in one session. Writing 100,000 words for a book takes time that you have to be willing to commit to each day of each week even if it was only 500 words.
- I took my calendar of an already busy schedule and planned in times to take photographs and planned in my time to write. My family, were aware of these times and were helpful to keep me on task when things ran over into my time.
- I learned that even if I didn’t feel creative I went and worked on my goals anyway and while in the midst of starting I would find inspiration to move forward and make true progress.
Accomplishing a goal or dream doesn’t take just thinking about it, you have to actually do something. Decide what you wish to do and create a list of what it will take and begin doing. You will be excited with your progress, you will be doing instead of talking about it, you will inspire others that are close to you to know that these dreams are coming true for you. Turn your 80% of dreaming into 80% of doing and only 20% of dreaming and life will become what you have always wanted it to be.
If you found this blog helpful then please share it with your friends or loved ones that could use similar inspiration. Leave a comment below if you have a method you use that helps you reach your goals and dreams.
Have a blessed day!