This magnificent cougar named Milo, (I call him Mo for short), was hit by a car when he was only 7 months old with a fractured femur and pelvic injuries. While having surgery they found an abscess and possible infection. The wildlife sanctuary, Animal Ark, was called because this animal needed a home and a place to heal. More and more wildlife sanctuaries are finding they are being called for similar situations.
I was fortunate to visit this wildlife sanctuary that cares for many exotic animals and to photograph a few of these beautiful and magnificent creatures of God. Several had sad stories that had brought them to this place but these people give their lives to make better homes for the ones that can’t be put back into the wild.
Mo did not want his picture taken on the day I was there. In fact, he doesn’t like his picture taken most days I was told. So I photographed what Mo was willing to give me and show you a cat that enjoys his solitude, space and fresh air.
Education is key to inform your children and friends about how some of these animals end up in wildlife sanctuaries, such as Animal Ark. If you have a love of animals like I do here are a few ways you can help:
- Adopt an animal – It costs approximately $120 a month to feed a cougar. Other animals such as a bear can cost $450 a month to feed.
- Make a donation to a wildlife sanctuary – any dollar amount would help them feed these wonderful animals.
- Donate time – if you live near a sanctuary and can’t donate money, offer additional hands to help in some manner.
- Join a 5k Run – This brings awareness and funds to these sanctuaries.
- Social media – write on your blog or other social media about sanctuaries near you of the animals they have helped and educate people that wild animals need to remain wild, not become pets.
With drought conditions in some areas of the country these animals venture closer to cities and towns in search of water and food. This is why they get hit by cars, end up injured or separated from there mothers and are left in a situation they are unfamiliar. If you encounter a wild animal please call the proper authorities to handle the situation so the animal will be safe and so will you.
Have a blessed day!